WHO CAN APPLY,
All third country citizens who conduct an investment activity, as an individual businessperson or through a company set up in Portugal or in another EU Member State and who, in addition, is stably settled in Portugal, provided that these citizens fulfil the quantitative requirements and the time requirements set out by the relevant legislation.
Three different types of investment that qualify for the Golden Visa program
Acquire real estate with a value equal to or above € 500.000,00
Purchase real estate (one or multiple properties – all types qualify) with a value equal to or above € 500.000,00, free from any charges or mortgages);
Possibility of financing to purchase properties above the € 500.000,00 investment;
Possibility of co-ownership with each co-owner making an investment of a minimum of € 500.000,00;
Possibility of applying through promissory contracts of purchase and sale for the initial investor residency application, provided that a deposit of a minimum of € 500.000,00 is paid (in this event, the purchase of the property needs to be effected until the time of the first renewal of the residency permit);
The properties acquired can be freely used, rented or leased.
Transfer capital with a value equal to or above € 1.000.000,00
The minimum investment required is of € 1.000.000,00;
The funds must be transferred from abroad to a bank in Portugal;
Total freedom allowed to invest the funds into any type of company or set a bank deposit for income;
Possibility of using the funds to invest in shares of companies.
Create at least 10 job positions in Portugal
Create a minimum of 10 job positions in Portugal;
No minimum investment value required;
No limitation on areas/activities;
Compliance with Social Security obligations required;
Possibility of grants/incentives/benefits.
- When one of the 3 abovementioned requirements is fulfilled, at the date of the application for the Golden Visa, an initial authorization will be granted for a period of 2 years, which can be converted into a permanent visa, or even a Portuguese passport, as long as the investment is maintained for at least 5 years counting from the date of the granting of the residence permit;
- Where the investment is made through a company, only the proportion of the capital actually invested by the applicant of the Golden Visa program shall be ascribable to them;
- Applicants may apply to swap from one requirement to another, subject to the condition of reinvesting the capital within a maximum period of three months, from the moment where they formally abandon the first investment;
- The investor (applicant) must maintain the investment activity for a minimum period of 5 years from the date that was granted the Golden Visa, attested by a bona fide declaration signed by the applicant;
- The minimum required period of permanence in the country is only 7 days in the first year, and 14 days in the subsequent years.
Other requirements under General Law
- Applicants must not have been convicted of a crime punishable with deprivation of liberty exceeding one year;
- Applicants must not be subject of an entry ban in national territory following a removal order from the country;
- Applicants must not be subject of alerts in the Schengen Information System;
- Applicants must not be subject of alerts in SEF’s (Portuguese Immigration and Borders Service) Information Integrated System issued for purposes of non-admission.
What documents you need for the application
- Passport or another valid travelling document;
- Proof of legal entry and permanence in national territory;
- Proof of health insurance;
- Signed application enabling consultation of the Portuguese Criminal Record by SEF;
- Criminal Record Certificate from the relevant authority of the applicant’s home country or from any other country where you resided for over a year;
- As means of evidence of compliance with tax obligations, you shall deliver a declaration proving the absence of debts issued by the Inland Revenue and Customs Authority and by the Social Security.